[plt-scheme] *const

From: David Van Horn (dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 5 16:22:17 EDT 2009

Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2009, at 3:45 PM, David Van Horn wrote:
>
> Thanks for looking it up.
>

>> Rereading this part of TLS, I can only conclude that this was written
>> before Matthias visited the pope.
>
> I suspect you're wrong. Again no where close to a book, but look at the
> copy right.

Well, the Little LISPer is (c) 1986, 1974.  The first MIT edition is
1987.  My copy of TLS, which is ed 4, is from 1996.

I guess the important thing for Jon to note, since he wrote this is "the
point where they introduce types", is that "types" here doesn't mean
what is typically meant by "types" in the context of a programming
language.  The book uses "type" to mean the different grammatical forms
of expressions.  There are 6: constants, identifiers, applications, etc.

This is different from what is meant by "types" in Typed Scheme, for
example.

David

Posted on the users mailing list.