[plt-scheme] Re: How to use a custom procedure as read?

From: Ali (emailaliclark at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 22:45:14 EDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2:30 am, Chongkai Zhu <c... at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Ali wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm sorry to ask this question, since it has been asked before, but I
> > could not make any sense of it at all.
> > My query is fairly simple, and after an hour or two of searching and
> > trial and error, I hope I can get the answer an easier way here!
>
> > Looked in the reference, this seems to be what I want, but all I'm not
> > sure exactly how to use it.
> >http://docs.plt-scheme.org/syntax/reader-helpers.html#(part._module-r...)
> > <http://docs.plt-scheme.org/syntax/reader-helpers.html#%28part._module...>
>
> > Read this and seemed to make sense, but not sure how to apply it to my
> > problem.
> >http://www.htus.org/Book/Staging/how-to-use-modules/
>
> > I believe the answer is in here, but again, I haven't been able to get
> > it working.
> >http://groups.google.com/group/plt-scheme/browse_thread/thread/8aabfc...
> > <http://groups.google.com/group/plt-scheme/browse_thread/thread/8aabfc...>
>
> > Problem:
> > I've got a Scheme procedure which I would like to temporarily use as
> > the read procedure, eg.
>
> > (swap-the-reader-in)
> > ... code using custom reader ...
> > (swap-the-reader-out)
> > ... normal reader again ...
>
> > My MzScheme version is 372. I'd be really grateful for an example of
> > how to temporarily use a custom procedure as the reader function.
> > Thanks, Al
>
> You should put `code using custom reader' in a separate module that use
> your own reader, and rest code in other (normal) modules. Hope you can
> figure out the rest on your own by reading the docs.
>
> Chongkai

Thanks. Do I have to write the code in a module? I'd much rather be
able to swap in and out of the custom reader mode as with above.

I'm sure that I can figure it out from the docs, but couldn't say how
long it will take, and I really don't enjoy spending hours upon hours
on a seemingly small problem.

Now I know its equally annoying for you to receive an email from a
mere newb who just_doesn't_get_it, but in my humble opinion there is
one too few simple examples of how to do this in MzScheme and it would
be really really nice if someone can post it.

Heck, if someone equally as dumb as me has the same problem later on,
it will already have a bow on it with this thread.

Can I re-iterate: I have looked for the answer. The problem is that my
attempts have led to excitement when I thought I had it, and lots and
lots of despair after each fail.

All I need is a tiny code example of how to change the reader to a
procedure called "custom-reader".

(set! read custom-reader)

was my first thought, but didn't work. Really hope someone can help on
this while I still have hair.

Posted on the users mailing list.