[plt-scheme] How to use a custom procedure as read?

From: Ali (emailaliclark at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 21:21:31 EDT 2008

I'm sorry to ask this question, since it has been asked before, but I could
not make any sense of it at all.
My query is fairly simple, and after an hour or two of searching and trial
and error, I hope I can get the answer an easier way here!

Looked in the reference, this seems to be what I want, but all I'm not sure
exactly how to use it.

Read this and seemed to make sense, but not sure how to apply it to my

I believe the answer is in here, but again, I haven't been able to get it

I've got a Scheme procedure which I would like to temporarily use as the
read procedure, eg.

... code using custom reader ...
... normal reader again ...

My MzScheme version is 372. I'd be really grateful for an example of how to
temporarily use a custom procedure as the reader function.
Thanks, Al