[plt-scheme] Re: Writing a game and have questions

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Sep 20 15:35:13 EDT 2008

I don't know the answer to the offscreen buffer question.

If you decide not to go that route, and these objects like monsters are
not all bound to particular hex tiles or do not fill the tiles
completely for purposes of picking (so you can't just find the hex tile
and then check a data structure to see whether there's a monster
associated with the hex tile), you might consider implementing this kind
of object picking as a two-step algorithm.  The first step would be to
determine which if any of the monster-like objects is clicked  (by,
e.g., scanning linearly through lists of them and checking for point
inside polygons, or by using a fancy computational geometry method).
The second step would be, if no monster-like thing was clicked, to use
the simple arithmetic means of determining which hex tile was clicked.
I think that would be more of the CAD way of doing things, and it is not
subject to some of the limitations and potential headaches of the
off-screen pixel-peeping method.

Probably for your game, either approach would be fine, but just thought
I'd mention it, in case you have trouble with pixel-peeping or you later
need to implement something that scale better.  (You did ask originally
for other approach suggestions. :)

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/