[plt-scheme] HTDP: How much do your students study?

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sun Sep 7 21:29:35 EDT 2008

Agreed, making a certain attitude a habit requires repetition.
But slavishly doing homework is not enough.
One should acquire the skill to apply the discipline on exercises invented
by oneself and in the very end on problems encountered as a professional
programmer.
When I read a book of study (in any field) I often do exercises after my own
ideas (often to later find out that somewhat further the same exercise is
exhibited in the book itself)
One also should acquire the skill to convince collegues and managers that
the approach is the most adequate one.
How often is it heard that precious principles of good programming are not
more than theory when it comes to fix a problem in an existing system
requiring a fast fix?
In the very end, they are not mere theory, of course, even when it comes to
making money out of the programming.
Jos