[plt-scheme] Re: Scheme sources readability

From: kbohdan at mail.ru (kbohdan at mail.ru)
Date: Sun Sep 7 14:44:42 EDT 2008

Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> As for GOF patterns, which is what you asked about, please read up on
> the extensive literature. 20 out of 23 GOF patterns aren't macros; they
> have been features in Scheme and LISP for the past 30 years.

Sorry, i definitely wasn't clear enough.
I'm not interested in GoF rewrite for scheme and
i obviously understand "obviously unnecessary" of such design patterns.
What i'm very interested in is one book describing advanced
higher order programming topics:
    - DSLs (ex: via define-type, type-case macros from PLAI)
    - monads (usable for scheme?)
    - coroutines (how to use ? how to implement ?)
    - pattern matching
    - parser combinators

Definitely each of them is worse separate book, but the aim is
to have catalogue of "common programming ideas" with
sample-implementaion and sample usage.
IMHO, whole community can benefit from such catalogue-book.

> As for reading code, I am sorry my brain isn't an algorithm.

> And I dont really have time to explain these things but here is a snippet of a
> function I wrote last week why Scheme code is readable and how it's
> written.

Thanks.
Does your snippet mean that ANY scheme code can be written
in such readable manner ?

> Copy it into drscheme, remove the obviously unnecessary line
> breaks introduced by your mail client, and read it.
>
> (BTW, can you imagine ANYONE using the phrase "obviously unnecessary"
> for Java code?)
>
> -- Matthias
<snip/>

PS:
  My English level is not as well as i'd like to, so please
  excuse me if i wasn't clear/polite enough.

--
Bohdan