[plt-scheme] HTDP: How much do your students study?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 7 13:05:31 EDT 2008

On Sep 7, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:

> Hi,
> How much do your students study?
> I suspect that when you do *ALL* of the work expected in the exercises
> it takes you much longer than you would have imagined to complete
> them; at least this is the case for me coming to HTDP having
> programmed prior to the book.
> Based on this week, I could easily imagine spending 9 hours a week,
> nights and weekends I mean, studying.

For the homework assignments I hand out, this is pretty much the
However, I pick and choose drill exercises and make up new graded
every week to complement the drill.

I suspect that overall I assign about half the exercises (in this

The fast students do it in 5 hours. I also have slow ones (quite a few)
who spend 20-30 hours/week.