[plt-scheme] Scheme sources readability

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 7 11:12:19 EDT 2008

On Sep 7, 2008, at 10:48 AM, kbohdan at mail.ru wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Probably not PLT specific, but hope not too OT:
>
> After many years of programming i found new-old
> scheme world very fascinating. One thing i still
> do not like here is source code readability.

Code in Scheme tends to be 1/4 or 1/3 of the size of Java.
The indentation structure is far more revealing than there.
So I find it as readable as Java or better. You could argue
CL is better, I wouldn't respond then.

> What about docstrings,

We consider Help Desk a priority because its linked way
of doing docs is superior. As my PhD advisor used to say,
a program (he meant module) is only worth writing if you
also write a paper about it (he meant documentation).

> design patterns (like GoF),

The design patterns of GOF were invented to address
weaknesses in Java and C++'s expressiveness when compared
to Scheme and LISP. Plus, when we discover a "pattern", we
just turn it into a construct via syntactic extensions.

> coding conventions. Are those non-applicable to scheme ?

Much higher-level coding conventions are applicable. But
yes I admit this takes training.

> Or scheme evolution is still on its early stages ?

Yes it is in its early stages. Fortunately, because it means
we have research left to do. Also fortunately, Scheme has far
outpaced Java and friends.

-- Matthias