[plt-scheme] Build failures on Debian Etch

From: Marek Kubica (marek at xivilization.net)
Date: Fri Oct 24 10:05:01 EDT 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:00:10 -0600
Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Do you have any memory-use limits set? In 4.1.1, setup-plt can start
> using a lot more memory around this point --- well over 200 MB. Also,
> "Killed" above suggests that an external agent terminated the build.

Indeed. It seems to have run out of memory and got killed by the
kernel OOM. I don't really have self-imposed memory restrictions, the
limit are 768 MB RAM of the virtual server. Didn't expect that building
the docs would take so much memory.

> Memory use for building documentation is improved in our current
> sources and the upcoming release, so that setup-plt stays below 200
> MB. You might want to try a more recent pre-release version from here:
>
>   http://pre.plt-scheme.org/installers/

Nice, with the 4.1.1.3 installer it compiles and works. Although the
memory usage was still quite high, I observed peaks of 285m and 319m
(RES) in top. That probably comes at the cost of using amd64.

Thanks for pointing me to the pre-release. I seem to be quite lucky so
that my problems are usually fixed by the following PLT release :)

regards,
Marek

Posted on the users mailing list.