[plt-scheme] Bug in process function call?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 23 17:39:13 EDT 2008

At Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:28:02 -0700 (PDT), pp wrote:
> I have been unable to kill a process started through the "process"
> call on Windows XP. The snippet below illustrates. I used notepad as
> an example but launching mzscheme itself also presents the same
> problem - except that mzscheme does get killed when stdin is closed.

When you use `process' or `system', the immediate subprocess is a shell
(i.e., cmd.exe). So you're killing the shell that started Notepad, but
not Notepad itself.

If you use `(process* "c:/windows/notepad.exe")', then the 'kill
control should work as you expect.

Meanwhile, MzScheme exits when its stdin is closed, so that's why
MzScheme exits when you close the ports.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.