[plt-scheme] Re: Scheme workshop survey

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sun Oct 19 17:44:52 EDT 2008

Is'nt this just a question about how to denote uses, quotations and
unquotations?
The question was already asked and quite adequately dealt with about a
century ago by W. V. Quine.
For Scheme the notation proposed in R5RS usually is satisfactory, I think.
But the notation can only be useful and rightly understood if we agree on
it.
For example I might say that <a> is not <a> because they occur on two
different locations in the text. As a matter of fact they do, but <a> is a
syntactical variable (or constants) referring to one and the very same thing
whenever ocurring within the same scope.
Saying that <a> would not be the same as <a> would not be convenient
(although it requires a common understanding of notation)
Jos