[plt-scheme] Should computer programming be mandatory

From: Woodhouse Gregory (gregory.woodhouse at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 16:03:10 EDT 2008

I don't really blame the students. They want every advantage they can
get when it comes to simply getting hired. I'm less sympathetic when
it comes to the hiring practices that emphasize short term gains at
the expense of a better educated workforce, and therefore a workforce
that will be more productive in the long run.

A theme that comes up time and again is that there are a few
developers whose code always seems to work and who are able to solve
problems that would lead most everyone else to throw up their hands
and say "it's impossible". Oddly, these are not the same developers
as those that know Java EE backwards and forwards and seemingly can
do anything with WebLogic or Oracle. Don't get me wrong, developers
in this second group are very valuable, but when their code can be
cryptic or convoluted, and when they run out of design patterns, they
can start tto run out of steam, and productivity (of the enterprise
as a whole) falls off. These are the highly trained technicians that
we as a society have always sought for and reward the most. The
developers in the first group are critical thinkers and generally the
most innovative workers. Ironically, when we REALLY get into a bind,
we are forced to turn to the first group, but it's the second group
that is rewarded both with respect and the largest salaries.

Maybe it's time for a rethink.

I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.