[plt-scheme] Re: [plt-edu] Should computer programming be mandatory

From: Greg Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 13:00:27 EDT 2008

Well, there's more to the story. What is now called VistA (an electronic
health record solution that is currently used by the U.S. Veterans Health
Administration) got its start when healthcare professionals starting
automating their work "on the sly". You can read the story of this
"underground railroad" at

http://www.hardhats.org/history/hardhats.html

My co-worker (or colleague, or friend) was one of the original hardhats. I
came along shortly afterwards, but with an academic background in
mathematics, becoming both something of a VistA expert and an outsider.
There is a tension, often quite palpable, between VistA pioneers who work in
"the field" (i.e., at VA medical centers/hospitals) and people like me who
work in office buildings. My friend's comment might reasonably be
paraphrased as "we've always done fine without you (pl.) and we don't need
you now."

In any case, you really hit the nail on the head: I recall just a few years
ago developing a parser driven tool that would work it's way through the
entire code base and build a dependency graph as best it could. (MUMPS is a
dynamically scoped language, and side-effcts can live a long time.) One
thing I've been arguing for a long time is that the code has grown far too
tightly coupled and needs to be reworked/refactored, but that can bed a real
hot button issue, particularly with the VistA pioneers.

Most current work is being done in Java, and even now I'm busy trying to
disentagle some undocumented Java code. I don't have to tell you that a new
language is a panacea, but I think there are still people that think it is.
But to get back to the original story, there's a real sense of bitterness
among the MUMPSters, who feel betrayed (and sometimes angry) over the shift
to Java.

Now me, I'd love to work in Scheme (or another functional language). If PLT
Scheme had standardized database support, a few library editions
(particularly in networking and I/O) and (perhaps) a richer GUI library, it
could easily be my first choice of platforms. (I say "perhaps" because I'm
still learning, and the fact that I don't know how to do something doesn't
mean the capability isn't there. In addition, this probably is not the top
priority. I'm still a little cautious with regard to web interfaces, but
they seem to be where the industry is headed now.)