[plt-scheme] Re: When does eqv? differ from eq? , from equal?

From: Alan Watson (alan at alan-watson.org)
Date: Tue Oct 7 08:29:00 EDT 2008

> And eqv?, the function that started this
> whole topic, is useless as near as I can tell, since it is defined to
> be eq? unless you know the values you're comparing are numbers or
> characters (or a handful of "empty" values) in which case you're
> better off using a type-specific comparison function.

Um, eqv? is the fundamental identity predicate for data structures in
Scheme. That is, if two data structures are eqv?, they cannot be
distinguished by any finite composition of standard Scheme procedures
except eq?, which, as I have said, is cheating.

So, eqv? seems pretty useful to me. Or, like Shriram, do you also
never use case? :-)

Regards,

Alan
--