[plt-scheme] Re: When does eqv? differ from eq? , from equal?

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Tue Oct 7 07:54:41 EDT 2008

I am going to split hairs a little bit.Where (eq? X Y) is undefined
('unspecified' in the R6RS document), R6RS yet requires eq? to return either
#t or #f. Apparently 'unspecified' can have slighly different meanings at
various places in the R6RS document.

R5RS requires

(let ((x (lambda ( ) '( ))))
 (eq? x x))

to yield #t, whereas according to R6RS it may return #t or #f (may be even
inconsistently).

I wonder why R6RS dropped the requirement made in R5RS. Allowing inlining?
Boy oh boy, two references to the same variable are no longer required to be
*eq?* in all cases, even without side effects lying around.

In practice we have:

(define-struct x (y))
(define sxa (make-x 1))
(eq? (sxa (begin (set-x-y! sxa 2) sxa))) ; probably --> #t (eq? implemented
as pointer comparison)
(define sxb (make-x 1))
(equal? (sxb (begin (set-x-y! sxb 2) sxb))) ; probably --> #f (equal?
implemented as recursive content comparator)

So here we have an example where an implementation may return #t for eq? and
yet return #f for equal?. This seems counterintuitive. Also look at "we
change, therefore we are the same" in the Seasoned Schemer.

I don't know the answers, but a fundamental theoreme of lambda calculus
states that there are no complete non trivial predicates. This also negates
the existence of complete non trivial equivalence relations. As (eq? var-x
var-x) is not even required to return #t, we even loose on reflexivity. So
much is clear though: there are several ways to define equaility, but in
practice all of them may fail when compared to the abstract mathematical
notion of equality (which probably is a cumbersome subject too) In
mathematics you may see axioms like x=x, but can we be sure this is true?
When we dress x with information on its place in the text (left or right of
the equal sign) it can also be argued that x=x cannot be true. Hence much
depends on how we interpret variable references or more generally how we
deal with symbols (in the mathematical sense, I mean)

Jos