[plt-scheme] Scheme Programming Question (Making an error message)

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 6 09:14:02 EDT 2008

On Oct 6, 2008, at 8:05 AM, Abdulaziz Ghuloum wrote:

> The person in question might have been a professor since before you
> were an undergrad.

That describes me :-)

Aziz, age, in research education as well as majority, does not make
things right. The Scheme community spent years destroying its capital
when SICP was hot, not realizing that teaching freshmen wasn't about
teaching a programming language, and that it never ever could have
been about Scheme per se. When we teach freshmen, we must ensure that
they (eventually) understand how it applies to other languages. So
this particular question, if posed to freshmen, could be reformulated
as I demonstrated later on the mailing list.

If it wasn't about freshmen, the instructor could have asked about
the O(.) performance of one algorithm compared to another, the
constant for the n, and then requested that students rewrite it.
Indeed, one could have added "is this a Scheme-specific problem" as a
final sentence/question.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.