[plt-scheme] Help intigrating C/C++ into Scheme

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Sat Nov 29 18:50:56 EST 2008

On Nov 29, 2008, at 2:50 PM, Chongkai Zhu wrote:

> Zukowski, Steven D wrote:
>>
>> Well I was hoping to communicate to it the easiest way possible
>> which seemed like calling it directly from the Scheme program. I'm
>> not sure what you mean by sockets exactly, but running it via
>> command-line arguments did cross my mind to. I'm just at a
>> complete loss about how to do, well, any of that from the Scheme
>> program.
>>
>> Also the program is one I'm writing myself and is very easy to for
>> me to edit.
>>

> a) since you wrote the C code yourself, discard it and write your
> Scheme code that is equivalent. In general, the Scheme version will
> be shorter, easier to understand/maintain (in short, better)...
> b) if there is any reason that method A is impossible (say part of
> the C code can't be rewrite in Scheme), then Scheme's Foreign
> Language Interface is the way to go. Since you are following the
> document and got shucked, maybe you should post here the part you
> have problem with (i.e. the part of the doc that you can't
> understand), so others can provide help.

I suspect it may be easier just to call the C program using the
'system' call, but frankly, reading this thread brings out the pedant
in me:

You can state your question(s) more precisely.  Do it. A more precise
question will yield a more precise answer.

It sounds like your first questions have to do not with Scheme, but
rather with building a mental model of OS-level processes (especially
shells) and how they interact.

Apologies for the supercilious tone,

John Clements