[plt-scheme] nonstandard installation

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 28 11:28:06 EST 2008

We have a heterogenous network of mostly Solaris servers for
undergraduate computing. Our sysadmins use a locally-brewed software
distribution system which involves building on one machine and pushing
files to other machines. Thus their installation of PLT Scheme will not
run setup-plt on a destination machine (except the build machine).

I asked a tutor to build a copy of PLT Scheme from scratch in their
local account, and in running a trivial program, the "user time" of the
local mzscheme is twice as fast as the officially-installed version.

What might cause this problem, and what can I suggest to the sysadmins
to fix it that might be consistent with the way they do things? Thanks. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.