[plt-scheme] Re: PLT R6RS questions and answers

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 25 15:23:21 EST 2008

> Is the PLT Team planning to port any of its modules to R6RS
> libraries, or find a way to compile PLT modules to R6RS libraries?
> Are you planning to use R6RS when developing new libraries?  In
> other words, does the PLT Team intend to participate in the effort
> to create a large collection of freely available and portable R6RS
> libraries, which would benefit the larger community of all R6RS
> users, and not just the PLT Scheme community?

I don't speak for PLT Scheme, but I'll give you my educated guess: no.
This is not a core priority.  (Certainly isn't for any of the code
we've written at Brown.)

But all the code is public (and sitting on your filesystem).  Several
non-PLT people have made code contributions.  You are welcome to do so
in the form of porting and contributing back your ports.

But, as I pointed out earlier and SamTH reinforced, an awful lot of
code does make use of PLT-isms that do not translate to R6RS
(certainly much of the code written at Brown is of this form), and I
have no idea what you plan to do about those.  We sure don't, which is
why we have no plans to port.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.