[plt-scheme] Re: Is R6RS useless for PLT?

From: Tom Gordon (thomas.gordon at fokus.fraunhofer.de)
Date: Tue Nov 25 05:18:37 EST 2008

On Nov 24, 2008, at 4:31 PM, Doug Williams wrote:

> ... For my big packages like the science and simulation collections,
> I separated out the graphics (which is almost certainly not
> portable) and the base functionality (which probably could be
> ported) when I developed them.  It hasn't been important for me to
> convert them to R6RS since I obviously use PLT Scheme. ...
>
> Is there a real advantage to the Scheme community at large or the
> PLT Scheme community in general in creating R6RS versions of these
> packages?

In my opinion, yes!  There are huge advantages.  Your libraries could
be used by users of other R6RS implementations, such as Ikarus,
Larceny, and Ypsilon.  And some users may find that one of these other
implemenations bettter fits their requirements.   Ikarus is faster.
Ypislon is lighter weight and appears to require less memory.

In other words, by porting your libraries to R6RS, you would be
providing a great service to a larger number of people.

-Tom

Posted on the users mailing list.