[plt-scheme] Re: General advice on what to use for unit testing

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 05:05:40 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Ernie Smith <esmith at acanac.net> wrote:

> For example, the ideal to strive for might be that test-cases add nothing to
> the port problem.  Are there more experienced schemers
> who have a similar propensity to write test cases and re-use code,
> and who have learned some insights about this that they feel
> inclined to share.

There is no port problem.

The small view is this: SchemeUnit can be made to work on any Scheme
distribution with minor changes.  It has no significant dependencies
on non-standard features.

The large view is this: history offers plenty of examples of projects
that have failed due to excessive scope.  In the computing world, GNU
Hurd and TUNES are two examples of failures due to the desire to be
everything resulting in nothing getting done.  I strongly emerge you
to concentrate on solving your immediate problem rather than worrying
about what you might want to do in a future you cannot predict.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.