[plt-scheme] Re: General advice on what to use for unit testing

From: Ernie Smith (esmith at acanac.net)
Date: Mon Nov 24 12:48:30 EST 2008

Matt Jadud wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Ernie Smith <esmith at acanac.net> wrote:
>> options which can cover the range of circumstances, including across
>> different versions of PLT scheme, across different scheme implementations,
>> across different developments and target environments, and across different
>> size of project.
>
> Can you be more precise? Because in the Scheme world, that particular
> list of requirements usually ends with a request for a pony, too. Or

Thanks for your contribution.

I've distilled it to:
  Use Schemeunit if sticking to a single Version of PLT.
  Otherwise maybe not, maybe  SRFI-78.

Regarding your remark,
As I said in the initial post. I can't be precise.
I'm looking for insight I don't already have.

Programmers, myself included, allways have difficulty offering insight,
I think it is something to do with fear of saying something which may
appear wrong in some context, in front of one's peers.
So I fully appreciate your appeal for more precision despite my attempt
to divert it by admitting my lack of precision up front.

I'll post a more pedantic but no more precise try at my question
in the hope that it will belay more appeals for precision:

Question:

I like to unit test code. That goes triple for untyped interpretive
languages.  Code I write tends to have a lot of test baggage
which goes with it.

When I re-use such code, the test-cases are as important as the code,
if not more so.

At the end of a long time, working in scheme, I expect to have a lot of
pieces of code I may want to re-use, in a context that I do not yet
know.

What insight can more experienced scheme coders give me concerning
minimizing the impact of test-cases on the re-usability of the code.

For example, the ideal to strive for might be that test-cases add
nothing to the port problem.  Are there more experienced schemers
who have a similar propensity to write test cases and re-use code,
and who have learned some insights about this that they feel
inclined to share.

Posted on the users mailing list.