[plt-scheme] Typed, Contracts, and Normal Scheme Performance Comparison?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 21 08:39:46 EST 2008

On Nov 21, 2008, at 8:29 AM, Robby Findler wrote:

> PLT's contract system encourages cheap contracts, mostly because
> contracts live on module boundaries and tight loops tend not to be
> across module boundaries.
>
> While I have not done anything close to a careful study, I did
> carefully measure the effect of dropping contracts from drscheme and
> the impact was negligible.

In this day and age, 'negligible' is a questionabe statement :)

One of my students is working on parallelizing contracts. He is
relying on Kevin's work on 'places'. General statement: it doesn't
pay off in general, but only when the contract is about as intensive
as the procedure's computations. That's all we know for now.

-- Matthias