[plt-scheme] Re: Is R6RS useless for PLT?

From: Tom Gordon (thomas.gordon at fokus.fraunhofer.de)
Date: Wed Nov 19 00:54:49 EST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> As the naming conventions in DrScheme suggest, we consider
> our Module language the primary development vehicle. R6RS,
> like R5RS, is supported and available. Bug reports and
> feature requests are taken seriously. As Robby indicates,
> R6RS is our bridge to other Scheme implementations and we
> would like libraries to flow into our world. -- Matthias

The problem is that the PLT tools, libraries, environment and
documentation in effect, if not intention, encourage people to write
modules using the PLT Scheme dialect, rather than portable R6RS
libraries, since the PLT dialect is better supported.

Anything which discourages people from making the effort to port
libraries to R6RS, or write new libraries in R6RS, serves to undermine
R6RS.

Now, I can understand that the status quo may be in the best interest
of the PLT team and community and that you don't have much incentive
to encourage people to write code which is not dependent on the PLT
system.  I'll also appreciate that the PLT team does research on
programming languages and needs to experiment with new ideas.

Presumably what needs to happen for R6RS to succeed is for one or more
R6RS implementations to become competive with PLT and begin to attract
users away from PLT, on their own merits.   I don't suppose we can
expect the PLT team to take the lead on this.

Tom Gordon

Posted on the users mailing list.