Fwd: [plt-scheme] Sweet-expressions on PLT

From: Eduardo Bellani (ebellani at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 3 19:01:06 EST 2008

Hey there Ernie,

This thread, at least from my point of view, is about a request to help a
newbie with the adaptation
of a software that works on a version of scheme (guile) to PLT.
It kind of deviated a bit on if scheme is hard to read,which I think so, and
provided a link to a lengthy argument
which I agree with
http://www.dwheeler.com/readable/retort-lisp-can-be-readable.html
(Sure it's a newbie opinion, but what the heck).

Keep in mind that I'm liking the language, and I am finding the experience
very rewarding. But it isn't about popularity
mate. I've learned ruby 3~4 years ago, here in Brazil, Florianopolis for a
study at a security lab I worked for.
Nothing to do with rails initially for me. I lucked out that someone
released a great web framework
in a language that I had familiarity with, so I began to work with that.

I research languages based on merit and curiosity, not hype or popularity. I
do think the syntax
provided by this software (sweet-expressions) fits my mind better, and I
think that it would make
the process of building a case for it's adoption easier. It's not
inflexibility, because if I suffered from
that I would have stayed within my (popular and embarrassedly hyped)
ruby/rails domain.

Instead I've convinced a couple of web developers friends I know to research
alternatives to make the case
that ruby/rails isn't a silver bullet for web dev, and that there are great
alternatives so we can present
them in some lectures I'm giving at a local university (I've delegated
erlyweb and seaside for them :P).

Hugs mate, and thanks for the valuable opinions

--
Eduardo Bellani

www.cnxs.com.br

"What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow men. That is the entire Law;
all the rest is commentary." The Talmud