[plt-scheme] Which Programming Languages Book to read?

From: Ernie Smith (esmith at acanac.net)
Date: Mon Nov 3 18:57:33 EST 2008

bad wrote:
> Grant Rettke wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:13 PM,  <kbohdan at mail.ru> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Programming Languages: Application and Interpretation
>>>   (by Shriram Krishnamurthi)
>>>
>>> 2. ESSENTIALS OF PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES (by Daniel P. Friedman,
>>>   Mitchell Wand).
>>>
> ! 3rd-edition !
>>
>> See "How do you compare this book to Friedman, Wand and Haynes's
>> Essentials of Programming Languages (EoPL)?":
>>
>> http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Books/ProgLangs/2007-04-26/FAQ/
>>

> Missed this, thx. Just want to note that there is a new 3rd edition of
> this book.
> At least some critique issues are still true (ex: GC), but it would be
> nice to update this comparison.
>
> --
> Bohdan

I'll vouch for 1.
I haven't read 2.
I read 1 when I was looking for something a little deeper
than Htdp to re-educate myself on the subject of programming languages.

I only just now notice that the author is someone with
whom I have had a somewhat heated private email exchanges on this list.
..doh

Allow me to take the opportunity to thank you for book Shriram.
I got a lot out of it.

Posted on the users mailing list.