[plt-scheme] Sweet-expressions on PLT

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Mon Nov 3 14:22:33 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Eduardo Bellani <ebellani at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to LISP/scheme (I'm from the ruby world), trying a lot of stuff to
> make sense of this new environment. One particular thing I've found that would
> really smooth the line of effort is sweet-expressions
> (http://www.dwheeler.com/readable/). The author was gentle enough even to
> provide a why do it here http://www.dwheeler.com/readable/retort-lisp-can-be-readable.html .

Hi Eduardo,

It makes sense that you want to make the learning process easier, but
avoiding s-expressions won't help you here.

Take the approach like you would any other development task, first
learn how it is supposed to work, and then decided for yourself
whether you want to do it differently.

Ultimately you would be worse off if you used sweet-expressions but
weren't even sure what so bad about s-expressions to begin with, and,
there isn't anything wrong with s-expressions, you get over it in a
few hours.

Posted on the users mailing list.