[plt-scheme] Does the autoloading of snip-classes support a PLaneT source?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun May 25 08:13:37 EDT 2008

At Sun, 25 May 2008 03:04:32 -0400 (EDT), Danny Yoo wrote:
> I see that if the snip-class name is of the form "(lib ...)" that the
> snipclass can be dynamic-required.  Can the the same support be available
> for PLaneT-derived snips?
>
> I'm looking at mred/private/snipfile.ss, and I see that the definition for
> "ok-lib-path?" only allows snip-classes to be auto-loaded from
> collections.  If that definition could be expanded to also allow PLaneT
> packages (maybe by just using module-path?), that would be nice.

We haven't allowed this, so far, because it would mean that merely
opening a file in DrScheme would be enough to have code downloaded and
installed on your machine.

Running a program that uses a Planet library also downloads and
installs, but you at least have the option of looking at a file and
deciding whether you trust the libraries before you execute it.

Probably the solution is to allow Planet paths in combination with a
dialog that notifies the user that code is being downloaded, and that
proceeds only if allowed.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.