[plt-scheme] Download kaput

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed May 21 09:19:01 EDT 2008

On May 21, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> I'm with you on NetworkManager being messy, and I'd try not to use
> it on servers.

Yes, I get the feeling that it's implemented by 12-year-olds who try
hard to make it do the thing that other os is doing.  The specific
problem I had with it was that when the machine booted, the network
came up fine (eg, pinging it worked), but when the NM comes up, the
connection is lost.  It took me two trips to the office to figure that
out...

> Regarding SELinux, that would be our friends at the NSA, who'll know
> about your new 5kg hammer before you leave the hardware store.

This one got me for the Nth time (where N=the number of Fedora
distributions since it had SELinux).  Every time I try to do the right
thing, fight it for a while, and then reach a conclusion that it's a
nasty piece of sh^Hoftware.  Like the bright idea of using binary
files so you must use the horrible GUI (which makes it just like
dealing with a text file, but without the usual text tools), or like
the lack of a one-page howto that makes it possible to tweak things
that you need working, or the fact that it tends to blow things up in
a really obscure way (one case of stupidity I had with it in the past:
Apache had a problem starting up, and SELinux restricted it from
writing things to the system log file) -- which results in a silly
game of just-try-to-disable-selinux-when-things-go-bad-with-no-
explanation.

Perhaps a better target for my hammer is whoever thought of turning it
on by default in Fedora, where most of the crowd is usually *not*
dealing with top secret documents.