[plt-scheme] ISMM 2008 Early registration closes 14 May

From: R.E.Jones (R.E.Jones at kent.ac.uk)
Date: Mon May 12 13:39:32 EDT 2008

                             ACM SIGPLAN 2008
                International Symposium on Memory Management
                    June 7-8, 2008, Tucson, Arizona, USA

                              Co-located events
                           PLDI, LCTES, PLAS, SAW

                  http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/~rej/ismm2008

|                                                                           |
|             !!!  EARLY RATE REGISTRATION CLOSING SOON  !!!                 |
|               http://www.regmaster.com/conf/pldi2008.html                 |
|                                                                           |
|              Deadline for early registration: May 14, 2008                |
|                                                                           |
|  Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, Microsoft Research and Intel,  |
|  ISMM is able to offer heavily discounted registration fees for students  |
|                                                                           |

ISMM is the premier forum for research in management of dynamically allocated
memory. ISMM 2008 is colocated with PLDI'08, Programming Language Design and
Implementation in Tucson, Arizona, USA.

This year's ISMM features:
  - Keynote speaker, David Bacon (IBM TJ Watson Research Center)
  - 16 presentations
  - Student Lightning talks
  - Wild and Crazy Ideas

Student Lightning Talks
  ISMM will feature a workshop for PhD students to give brief presentations
  (8 minutes + 2 minutes for questions) of their work in progress. This will
  provide an opportunity for students to get supportive feedback, to gain
  experience presenting to a major audience and exposure for themselves
  and their work, and will encourage interaction with fellow students and
  the community. A prize will be awarded for the best presentation. Students
  wishing to make a presentation should mail a brief abstract to Witawas
  Srisa-an <witty at cse.unl.edu> by:
  	Abstract deadline: 23 May 2008

Wild and Crazy Ideas
  Following the success of this session in previous meetings, we will again
  hold this fun and informal forum for discussion of interesting ideas in the
  area of memory management. Presenters are given just 4 minutes in which to
  present their idea and 1 minute to take questions.  Prizes are awarded for
  the idea most crazy and the one most worthy of implementation! Please
  contribute your wild and crazy ideas. Contact the WACI chair, Tony Hosking
  <hosking at cs.purdue.edu>, before the event.

PROGRAMME

Session 1: Garbage Collection & Resource Management

- The CLOSER: Automating Resource Management in Java, Isil Dillig,
  Thomas Dillig, Eran Yahav and Satish Chandra
- Parallel generational-copying garbage collection with a block-structured
  heap, Simon Marlow, Tim Harris, Roshan James and Simon Peyton Jones
- Limits of Parallel Marking Garbage Collection, Fridtjof Siebert

Session 2: Domain-Specific Memory Management I

- Efficient Dynamic Heap Allocation of Scratch-Pad Memory, Ross McIlroy,
  Peter Dickman and Joe Sventek
- Supporting Superpage Allocation without Additional Hardware Support,
  Mel Gorman and Patrick Healy
- Memory management for Self-Adjusting Computation, Matthew Hammer and
  Umut Acar

Session 3: Domain-Specific Memory Management II

- Runtime Support for Region-Based Memory Management in Mercury, Quan Phan,
  Gerda Janssens and Zoltan Somogyi
- A Reference Counting Garbage Collection Algorithm for Cyclical Functional
  Programming, Baltasar Trancon y Widemann

Session 4: Locality, Performance and Optimization

- Path Specialization: Reducing Phased Execution Overheads, Filip Pizlo,
  Erez Petrank and Bjarne Steensgaard
- Sampling-based Program Locality Approximation, Yutao Zhong and Wentao Chang
- Memory Pooling Assisted Data Splitting (MPADS), Stephen Curial, Peng Zhao,
  Jose Nelson Amaral, Yaoqing Gao, Shimin Cui, Raul Silvera and Roch Archambault

Wild and Crazy Ideas Session

- This session is a fun and informal forum for discussion of interesting ideas
  in the area of memory management. Presenters are given just 4 minutes in
  which to present their idea and 1 minute to take questions. Prizes are awarded
  for the idea most crazy and the one most worthy of implementation!

Session 5: Heap Measurement and Analysis I

- No Bit Left Behind: Limits of Heap Data Compression, Jennifer B. Sartor,
  Martin Hirzel and Kathryn S. McKinley
- A Study of Java Object Demographics, Richard Jones and Chris Ryder
- Practical Memory Leak Detector Based on Parameterized Procedural Summaries,
  Yungbum Jung and Kwangkeun Yi

Session 6: Heap Measurement and Analysis II

- Parametric Prediction of Heap Memory Requirements, Victor Braberman,
  Federico Fernandez, Diego Garbervetsky and Sergio Yovine
- Analysing Memory Resource Bounds for Bytecode Programs, Wei-Ngan Chin,
  Huu Hai Nguyen, Corneliu Popeea and Shengchao Qin

ORGANIZERS

General Chair: Richard Jones            Programme Chair: Steve Blackburn

Steering Committee:                     Programme Committee:

David Bacon, IBM                        David Detlefs, Microsoft
Steve Blackburn, ANU                    David Gay, Intel
Amer Diwan, U. Colorado                 Dan Grossman, U. Washington
David Detlefs, Microsoft                Martin Hirzel, IBM
Richard Jones, U. Kent                  Matthias Meyer, U. Stuttgart
Greg Morrisett, Harvard                 Kathryn McKinley, U. Texas
Eliot Moss, U. Massachusetts            Martin Rinard, MIT
Erez Petrank, Technion U.               Witawas Srisa-an, U. Nebraska
Mooly Sagiv, Tel-Aviv U.                Bjarne Steensgaard, Microsoft
                                        Guy Steele, Sun Microsystems
                                        David Ungar, IBM
                                        Craig Zilles, U. Illinois