[plt-scheme] 399: how to get the internal helpdesk browser?

From: Yavuz Arkun (yarkun at gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 9 10:05:22 EDT 2008

Indeed, I remember this being a particular bugbear of me until it was
fixed in 3.99 series. I was getting distracted by the discordant look
of the internal browser and rendered text compared to the rest of my
desktop.

I believe that all application UIs should conform to the environment
they are run in to the point that they are "invisible" when used. This
is one of the reasons why I cannot make myself use emacs regularly
despite a history going back years...I have philosophical problems
with an application and development process that cannot use
platform-standard dialogs, menus, keyboard shortcuts, etc.

--Yavuz

Eli Barzilay wrote:
> On May  8, Benjamin L. Russell wrote:
>> Indeed.  If I may ask, why is it no longer used?  It was like having
>> a personal assistant in DrScheme who is no longer around.  It now
>> feels somehow ... lonely....
>
> [Among other, more technical reasons, I think that many people
> complained exactly about having to deal with a special browser.  (For
> example, there were always complaints about the help desk browser not
> doing something that popular browsers do.)]

Posted on the users mailing list.