[plt-scheme] 399: how to get the internal helpdesk browser?

From: Benjamin L. Russell (dekudekuplex at yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 8 06:48:25 EDT 2008

--- On Thu, 5/8/08, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:

> On May  8, Benjamin L. Russell wrote:
> >
> > Indeed.  If I may ask, why is it no longer used?  It
> was like having
> > a personal assistant in DrScheme who is no longer
> around.  It now
> > feels somehow ... lonely....
>
> [Among other, more technical reasons, I think that many
> people
> complained exactly about having to deal with a special
> browser.  (For
> example, there were always complaints about the help desk
> browser not
> doing something that popular browsers do.)]

Hmmm ... I just compared the Help Desks of DrScheme, versions 372 [3m] and 3.99.0.13-svn26feb2008 [3m], and discovered that I can't seem to find the corresponding Help Desk-accessible version of "Teach Yourself Scheme in Fixnum Days" that had been available from the old "Help" menu -> "Help Desk" menu item -> "PLT Help Desk" title -> "Learn to program in Scheme:" section -> "Program Design:" subsection -> "Books" sub-subsection -> "Teach Yourself Scheme in Fixnum Days" link.

The new "PLT Scheme Documentation" HTML page (file:///C:/Program%20Files/PLT-3.99.0.13/doc/index.html) in version 3.99.0.13-svn26feb2008 [3m] does not seem to have a link to this page.  Neither does there seem to be a link to this page anywhere in the new "Help" menu in DrScheme, version version 3.99.0.13-svn26feb2008 [3m], either.

Am I missing something, or is there a direct link to this page accessible from the new "PLT Scheme Documentation" HTML page (file:///C:/Program%20Files/PLT-3.99.0.13/doc/index.html)?  (I already know how to get to the official site to that book using Google; rather, I'm looking for a way to get there using a direct link on the new "PLT Scheme Documentation" HTML page that should correspond to the old built-in "PLT Help Desk" page.)

Benjamin L. Russell

Posted on the users mailing list.