[plt-scheme] black buttons in drscheme

From: Benjamin L. Russell (dekudekuplex at yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 7 23:19:35 EDT 2008

Hi Stephen,

While I can't vouch for this, the black buttons in your screen snapshot resemble similar buttons that I've seen in some applications (especially browsers with many tabs open containing images) in Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2) and Mac OS X 10.2.8 Jaguar when running with too many running applications/insufficiently available RAM.

According to your screen snapshot, you have a memory limit of 128 megabytes set in DrScheme, version 3.99.0.23 [3m].  You may wish to try removing this limit on your memory by navigating to the "Scheme" menu -> "Limit memory..." menu item, and clicking the "Unlimited" radio button there, and then restarting DrScheme.

If that doesn't work, then try installing the stable release of DrScheme, version 372, english from the regular download site at http://download.plt-scheme.org/drscheme/ into a different directory from version 3.99.0.23 [3m] in order to avoid overwriting your existing DrScheme settings, and then running version 372 to see if this bug is reproduced.

If the same bug occurs in version 372, then this bug is probably not related to DrScheme.  In that case, try closing some other applications before starting version 3.99.0.23 [3m].

Otherwise, if this bug doesn't occur in version 372, then this problem may be related to your installation of version 3.99.0.23 [3m].  The first diagnostic measure would probably be, in version 3.99.0.23 [3m], to try to disable all installed tools by going to the "Edit" menu -> "Preferences..." menu item -> "Tools" tab, selecting each installed tool in the list there, then, at the bottom of that page for that tool, clicking on the "Skip the tool" radio button, and then restarting version 3.99.0.23 [3m].  If that fails, then uninstall and reinstall version 3.99.0.23 [3m].

Let us know if this procedure helps.

Benjamin L. Russell