[plt-scheme] Disabling the compilation manager for system directories?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun May 4 11:34:38 EDT 2008

On May  4, Eric Kidd wrote:
> * Bug #2 (in MacPorts mzscheme): Bad 'collects-dir
> Under MacPorts (and possibly other Unix-style package managers), the
> value of (find-system-path 'collects-dir) doesn't get set up
> correctly.  But on those systems, we can generally find our
> collections in the appropriate directory under (find-system-path
> 'addon-dir).

I just checked two things:

1. The Fedora plt package (it's v371 for my version of fedora).  Looks
   like there is a bug:
   * (find-system-path 'collects-dir) returns "../", this is fine
     since the /usr/bin/mzscheme executable is a symlink to
     /usr/lib64/plt/bin/mzscheme, and that has the usual tree.
   * However -- and this is the bug -- (find-system-path 'exec-file)
     returns the location of the link instead of the actual file.  I
     see the same thing with the subversion executable:

       winooski:~ eli> ln -s /home/scheme/plt/bin/mzscheme /tmp/mz
       winooski:~ eli> /tmp/mz
       Welcome to MzScheme v3.99.0.23 [3m], Copyright (c) 2004-2008 PLT Scheme Inc.
       > (find-system-path 'exec-file)

2. But this is not a unix-style installation, so I checked such an
   installation -- using our nightly build installer.  That seemed
   like it gets a perfectly fine result.  (But there might be issues
   with other packagers that keep their own hacks from times where we
   didn't have good support for them.)