[plt-scheme] Interactive gui development in Emacs with MrEd

From: Ben Simon (benjisimon at gmail.com)
Date: Sat May 3 22:43:57 EDT 2008

After kicking off mred -z, did you run the following in your emacs repl:
  (current-eventspace (make-eventspace))

Does that help?

Here's where I first saw that advice:
  http://www.neilvandyke.org/quack/quack.el
;; Evaluate
;;
;;   (current-eventspace (make-eventspace))
;;
;; as the first expression in the stdio REPL, and then it will work the
;; way you want.
;;
;; The GUI REPL creates a new eventspace for evaluating expressions, so
;; the expressions are not evaluated in MrEd's main thread. The stdio
;; REPL, however, uses the main thread for evaluating expressions, so that
;; it acts just like MzScheme.

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Andrei Stebakov <lispercat at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am making my first steps with MrEd with gui apps (on MS WinXP)
> I took a sample of "hello" application from
> http://programmingalchemy.blogspot.com/2007/05/open-source-cross-platform-gui.html
>
> and pasted that code in hello.scm in Emacs. I started MrEd -z and started
> to evaluate all forms one after another (with Ctr-x Ctrl-e).
> Finally when I came to the final form (send frame show #t) and evaluated
> it, a window without any contents appeared, to get message to show on the
> window I had to switch back and forth from the app to emacs.
> Looks like emacs is blocking the message thread of the MrEd application.
> I am not sure if it's the right way to use MrEd in Emacs... I come from
> Common Lisp/Slime environment, so it seemed natural to me.
> When I compile the file and make an exe, everything works.
> How the interactive development with MrEd should look like when you add
> new UI elements and test them before you make the final exe?
>
> Thank you,
> Andrew

Have an idea for software? I can make it happen -
http://www.ideas2executables.com
My Blog: http://benjisimon.blogspot.com