[plt-scheme] running mzscheme in 3.99.0.23

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat May 3 16:46:39 EDT 2008

At Sat, 03 May 2008 16:31:25 -0400, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> >
> > When you're in a module, things are printed out.

That's not quite right. The `scheme' and `scheme/base' module languages
automatically print the results of top-level expressions in a module
body. The `mzscheme' module language doesn't do that (as it didn't in
3xx).

For example, the program

 #lang mzscheme
 10

doesn't print 10.

> > When you're in a teaching language, the implicit module installs a
> > non-printer at top-level.

A bit more precisely, the`lang/htdp-beginner', etc. module languages do
not print the results of top-level expressions.

Going back to the original question:

> What governs what is
> printed out, and can I change either of these behaviours?

The module's language is in charge via the `#%module-begin' binding.

If you create a new module language, then you can re-export
`#%module-begin' from `scheme/base' to have top-level expression values
printed, or you could re-export `#%plain-module'begin' as
`#%module-begin' to have top-level expressions results ignored.

Changing an existing language is tricker. If you know that the
language's `#%module-begin' is the same as `scheme/base' or the same as
`#%plain-module-begin', then you could create a new language that
re-exports everything of the existing language, except that it
re-exports the other `#%module-begin'. If the existing language has a
more complicated `#%module-begin', however (which is the case for the
`htdp' languages), then it's a problem of composing `#%module-begin's,
which doesn't work in general.

In particular, I don't see an easy way of creating a variant of
`lang/htdp-beginner' that prints the results of top-level expressions,
but I'll think about it more.

> Is there a description of exactly what is different between #lang scheme
> and #lang scheme/base? (I'm thinking of the equivalent of footnote 1 to
> section 2 of the DrScheme Programming Environment Manual in 3xx.)

I'll add something like that to the reference manual. (It will be
computed automatically from existing annotations in the documentation
source.)

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.