[plt-scheme] two questions about extensions and 3m under 372

From: Chongkai Zhu (czhu at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat May 3 00:40:39 EDT 2008

Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> 1. What experiences have people had moving their existing MzScheme
> extensions from CGC to 3m?

For me, under CGC, I used to insert MZ_GC_REG and so on manually, but
later I find out using mzc --xform is much easier.

> 2. What experiences have people had opting to stay with CGC?

AFAIK, there's not too much difference between 300 and 372, other than
the xform get improved a lot. I managed to carefully re-structure my C
code to make it work with xform. It might be hard for you, if you
existing C code doesn't go well with xform. Manually inserting MZ_GC_REG
and so on is very error prone, just like manually inserting malloc/free.
And as far as I can tell, such error is hard to detect before
deployment. I didn't stay with CGC because I knew I have to move on, but
my result code works with CGC.

My 2 cents,
Chongkai