[plt-scheme] HtDP newbie question, 12.4.2

From: Cooke Kelsey (cookekelsey at yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 28 02:54:18 EDT 2008

You wrote:
  "Where should this missing letter get added in the result of (insert-in-single-word s (rest word))? Correct! At the beginning."

  It's not possible to add missing letters...they are missing!

  What I need is a prefix function.  For the word (list 'A 'T 'W), I need:
  cycle 1: (empty)
  cycle 2: (list 'A)
  cycle 3: (list 'A 'T)
  cycle 4: (list 'A 'T 'W)

  Unfortunately, the recursive function call, "insert-in-single-word (rest word)," results in smaller and smaller words:
  cycle 1: 'T 'W
  cycle 2: 'W
  cycle 3: empty

  I just spent 2 hours trying to define an auxiliary function or add some extra "appends" in the main function, in order to insert a prefix in front of the X, but there is no way to add the missing letters.  They are gone forever.