[plt-scheme] Vision behind Scribble

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 17 16:47:54 EDT 2008

At Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:12:43 -0400, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> If you'd like to play with embedded documentation, it would not be
> difficult to write a tool that assembled a Scribble document from
> comments embedded in a Scheme source file.

That's the idea in the long run, except that the documentation should
be in syntactic forms that expand away in normal mode (as opposed to
mere comments).

The vision behind Scribble is to use the extensibility that we have in
PLT Scheme to keep documentation within the module system, which lets
us

 1) connect documentation to libraries using module-level binding,

 2) build up the documentation tools in layers, and

 3) keep the documentation language itself extensible.

All three parts feed into a way to put code and documentation together,
but we haven't quite developed the tools that far.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.