[plt-scheme] Vision behind Scribble

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 15:42:45 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Dave Herman <dherman at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> > Macros mean that
>  > what you want to document may not even be apparent in the source file,
>  > so where do you place the documentation?
>
>  I don't quite follow this point. Can you explain what you mean by this?

In javadoc the tool extracts some of the documentation from the source
code (e.g. the name of the method or class that is being documented).
Documentation is associated with the "value" it documents  by
appearing above it in the source file.  This won't work in Scheme as a
macro might introduce multiple names, or introduce a name into a place
that has no corresponding location in the source file (e.g. in the
body of an expression).

>  This reminds me of a recent (inflammatory as usual) Steve Yegge post:
>
>  http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/02/portrait-of-n00b.html

Heh.  I think he had some good points, but I didn't finish it -- too
much padding.

N.

PS: fwdted to plt-scheme; apologies if you deliberately sent this just to me.

Posted on the users mailing list.