[plt-scheme] syntax equivalent to doing both define-for-syntax and define?

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryanc at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 17 04:15:50 EDT 2008

Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> Is there syntax in MzScheme 372 that will have the effect of both
> "define-for-syntax" and "define"?
>
> Basically, I'm trying to implement a new one of my infamous portable
> single-file Scheme libraries, and have certain procedure definitions
> available both in the transformer environment and the normal top-level
> environment.
>
> I'm only interested in convenient duplicating of the syntax of the
> definitions, not in sharing bindings or values across phases.

Well, you could do this:

   (define-syntax define-for-both
     (syntax-rules ()
       [(define-for-both header . body)
        (begin (define-for-syntax header . body)
               (define header . body))]))

Of course, that duplicates the code, which means that it is compiled
twice, takes up twice as much space, etc. You'll also still have to live
with the restrictions of 'define-for-syntax', like no forward
references. It might be fine for your purposes, though. The clean way is
what you describe below: make a module and require it in both phases.

Ryan

> If MzScheme 372 doesn't have a way to do this in one file, I suppose I
> can move the problematic functionality into a second portable library
> (and therefore, second PLT module) that can be both
> "require-for-syntax"'d and "require"'d by the first library.
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

Posted on the users mailing list.