[plt-scheme] Object system vs. closures

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 11 10:17:07 EDT 2008

Let me rephrase these answers. Suppose you are willing to use macros
to define your class/object systems via closures:

1. You should design macros that provide reasonable error messages
when you send an unknown message to an object, when initialization
issues go wrong, and probably a few more things.

2. With 1 but a HUGE issue in practice, you should design your object
system so that the closures are hidden and disjoint from real
closures. Otherwise someone (you older, some non-oo pieces of your
large system) may end up treating your objects as closures and just
invoke them. After you are through with issue 3, this won't be pretty.

3. You should design macros that pre-compute object dispatch so that
you don't get hit by the sequential search that a cond implies. Since
method dispatch is the most central operation in OOP, you want at
least amortized constant time. See Dan Friedman's lecture on object
passing style or something like that. Or read the paper that Robby
suggested and the code that goes with it (class.ss).

If you want something real, you are really rewriting (lib class.ss)
aka scheme/class in a way so that it runs on the syntax systems of
other Scheme implementations though 2 remains an issue there.

So your question boils down to the trade off between your own effort
of reconstructing enough of scheme/class -- because real OOP
programming needs it -- and 'buying into' a multi-manyear effort of
designing a class system and making it robust (see 1 2 3).

-- Matthias