[plt-scheme] process.ss can't find command

From: Stephen De Gabrielle (spdegabrielle at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 08:03:07 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm not sure whats going wrong here, but I'm trying to use the system
command supplied by
(require scheme/system) or (require (lib "process.ss" "mzlib"))

It seems to get a different version of $PATH on my osx machine

this code;
;#lang scheme/base
;(require scheme/system)
(require (lib "process.ss" "mzlib"))
;(system "svn add svn-commit.scm")
(system "echo $PATH")
(system "svn commit  -m \"auto-commit\"")

returns this;
Welcome to DrScheme, version 372 [3m].
Language: Pretty Big (includes MrEd and Advanced Student) custom; memory
limit: 128 megabytes.
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
#t
/bin/sh: line 1: svn: command not found
#f

but when I use the terminal I get
$ echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin

I'm assuming that;
1. $PATH is [normally] the same for bash and /bin/sh
ie
$ /bin/sh
sh-2.05b$ echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin

2. the system command supplied by (require scheme/system) and (require (lib
"process.ss" "mzlib")) is the same

It seems I am wrong about 1 and the /etc/profile and .profile are bash
specific and don't run for /bin/sh and therefore my commands don't have
access to the modified path.

I'd rather not hard code the path, as I want this to run on a variety of
machines;
- does anyone have any suggestions on how best to make this work?

Cheers,

Stephen

--
Stephen De Gabrielle
s.degabrielle at ucl.ac.uk
Telephone +44 (0)20 7679 5242 (x45242)
Mobile 079 851 890 45
Project: Making Sense of Information (MaSI)
http://www.uclic.ucl.ac.uk/annb/MaSI.html

UCLIC: University College London Interaction Centre
http://www.uclic.ucl.ac.uk/

Remax House - 31/32 Alfred Place
London - WC1E 7DP