[plt-scheme] Styling MrEd GUI components

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 10 09:22:03 EDT 2008

At Sun, 9 Mar 2008 23:45:03 -0400, "Ben Simon" wrote:
> How do I style MrEd components? That is, how could I make a button red, or a
> border green?  I see where I can make use of different fonts, but that's
> about all I see in terms of controlling the Look & Feel of the components.
>
> What am I missing?  I'm sure it's something obvoius, but I've been through
> the docs now quite a few times and I don't see anything jumping out at me.

There's no way to control features like the color of a standard button.
That's by design, so that the GUI library can use the current
platform's toolbox, which has its own look-and-feel. All GUI toolboxes
that we use accommodate a font change for a button, but sometimes not
much else.

Creating a button with a bitmap label may give you a bit more control.
More generally, you can derive a sub-class of `canvas%' and draw
anything as a control.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.