[plt-scheme] paired braces in interaction mode?

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Thu Mar 6 14:23:42 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grant Rettke" <grettke at acm.org>
To: "Jos Koot" <jos.koot at telefonica.net>
<plt-scheme at list.cs.brown.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] paired braces in interaction mode?

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Jos Koot <jos.koot at telefonica.net> wrote:
>> It was clearly explained on this list how its works, IIRC by Robby
>> Findler.
>
> I know. I thought I had clearly established (confessed?) that I had
> clearly lost the ability both read and comprehend :)
> I guess it is up for debate whether or not it has returned.

I don't need a debate for that. It has not been away in the first place :)

>> It is a simple thing that hardly needs documentation.
>
> Highlighting yes, but the whole bit about moving the cursor to the
> right side of an s-expression hitting enter to paste in that
> s-expression is just not obvious to me at all.
> That is a nice feature, it needs publicity. That is my point.

For me the nicest thing is that I can again see the structure (going through
levels of parentheses) of the produced output in the interactions window.
That feature has made a fine comback. Because I am more interested in
contents than presentation, I tend to produce very simple output, that's
why.
>From this you may, indeed, and neglecting sparse exceptions, deduce that  I
no longer produce software for consumers. Nowadays just for joy. PLT makes
it easy. It downloads without any ado, has a nice IDE and does not force me
to enter verbose commands or otherwise go into the details of the OS (which
in my case probably is the most used one, but as probably the worst one
imaginable)
Jos

>> I can imagine that at this moment PLT people have many things higher on
>> their list of priorities.
>
> I know. Sometimes it is the smallest things that can make a
> difference. A little feature in the IDE can be such a nice surprise.
>
> It is also very, very nice that the PLT guys do what they do with both
> their software and *this* list. It can be hard to get started with a
> language where the community is populated largely by experts. Maybe it
> is a little thing but it is really special.
>
>> Sorry being a little bit obtrusive. Take it with a :) please.
>
> I will thank you being so nice about it!

Posted on the users mailing list.