[plt-scheme] string->number

From: tom sgouros (tomfool at as220.org)
Date: Thu Mar 6 14:14:38 EST 2008

Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:

> On Mar  6, tom sgouros wrote:
> >
> > Thank you.  This saves me having to debug the other end to figure out
> > where the space is coming from.  (And the version I've been using is
> > whatever was the last version to run on DOS, so I think it was around
> > version 43 or so.)
>
> * Version 43 is *ancient* (it's from 1996), if you're really upgrading
>   from that, then you're likely to have lots of other problems.

Oh, yes: the garbage collector, the unicode, the class system.  The
difference is that those were big and complicated, but obvious and I've
dealt with them.  Now I'm getting into the sneaky issues like this one.
(But making progress on them, thanks to all.)

> * MzScheme has always ran in a DOS box.

It may have been the version of DOS I was stuck with.  I can't recall
exactly why I was stuck on that version, but Matthew helped me a few
years later by coming up with the appropriate documentation for that
version after I determined that I couldn't easily upgrade without
investing in new hardware.

 -tom