[plt-scheme] init-field order?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 3 11:34:31 EST 2008

At Mon, 03 Mar 2008 11:12:18 -0500, tom sgouros wrote:
> The interpreter still seems fast and flexible, but the newer
> documentation seems somewhat more telegraphic than the older parts, and
> seems to be written for people who are already PhDs in computer science.
> I found the class system documentation especially opaque, but the
> documentation of what is and is not an mzchar or UCS-4 was also fairly
> challenging to parse.  In several cases during this push, after I
> already understood the issue (from an answer on this list, or from
> experimentation), I went back and easily found the single sentence that
> would have explained the issue to me.  But I'd rather have found it
> first.

Thanks for your feedback, and I agree with your characterization of the
documentation. For reference documentation, I aim for succinctness, and
I think I've probably gotten "better" in that dimension over the years;
if so, the documentation will have become ever more dense.

So, that's why we've embarked on the re-documentation effort as our
highest priority --- including the creation of more readable "guides"
to complement the "references" --- though we still have a long way to
go.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.