[plt-scheme] slideshow, sound

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 3 10:03:51 EST 2008

At Mon, 3 Mar 2008 07:04:03 -0700, Richard Cleis wrote:
> > I think Slideshow will have to provide a new hook --- or some general
> > API to mediate the slide content and the slide viewer --- to make that
> > work.
>
> What about Slide Show GUI's?  Many applications in a laboratory
> require only elementary UI's, but they have so many features that a
> user's manual is paradoxically required.  Furthermore, many
> organizations are (for better or worse) driven by power point
> slides.  I'd like to make Slide Show Presentations that fit that
> paradigm (for better or worse), yet operators could stop on a slide
> near relevant material and run the equipment.  A few years ago, I
> 'discovered' the thunk button in Slideshow and sent a few messages
> (over a socket) to run equipment.  That satisfied the geek in me, but
> more interaction is required.

This much should already work fairly well with clickback picts, since
you can get access to the whole `scheme/gui' (i.e., MrEd) toolbox in
the callback function. In fact, the motivation behind an early version
of Slideshow was to enable a talk about MrEd, where I use MrEd
interactively during the talk.

The missing piece is being able to control and reflect on the state of
the viewer window that's showing the slides.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.