[plt-scheme] r6rs vs module language performance

From: Matteo Pradella (matteo.pradella at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 04:36:05 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> At Thu, 26 Jun 2008 06:05:23 -0700 (PDT), Matteo Pradella wrote:
>> I ported to r6rs a small research prototype I wrote a couple of years
>> ago (in mzscheme v.3, I think), to "try and feel" the new standard.
>> Just to waste some time, I tried on the same input file both the "pure
>> mzscheme" and the r6rs versions: the former took 5.8s on my machine,
>> while the latter 1m14s. The application core resides in a single r6rs
>> library, installed (and compiled) through plt-r6rs --install.
>
> That's a surprising difference. An R6RS program should generally run in
> PLT Scheme about the same speed as a `#lang scheme' or `#lang mzscheme'
> version.
>
> Can you say more about what the program does? Is it something we can
> try running?

Sure -- the tool is open-source. It is actually a parser and completer
for pictures specified by tiling systems, based on a SAT-solver.

I'll prepare simplified versions (without the SAT interface -- the
strange behavior is in the main part of the tool, the one generating
the encoding formulae, so you don't really need the SAT-solver), and
send them to you asap.

Thanks,
Matteo

Posted on the users mailing list.