[plt-scheme] define-struct vs make-struct-type: struct type descriptor

From: Chongkai Zhu (czhu at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 4 17:36:54 EDT 2008

If you read the doc of v372:

A define-struct expression with n fields defines 4 + 2n names:

* struct:s, a structure type descriptor value that represents the new
datatype. This value is rarely used directly.

* make-s, a constructor procedure that takes n arguments and returns a
new structure value.

* s?, a predicate procedure that returns #t for a value constructed by
make-s (or the constructor for a subtype; see section 4.2) and #f for
any other value.

* s-field, for each field, an accessor procedure that takes a structure
value and extracts the value for field.

* set-s-field!, for each field, a mutator procedure that takes a
structure and a new field value. The field value in the structure is
destructively updated with the new value, and void is returned.

* s, a syntax binding that encapsulates information about the structure
type declaration. This binding is used to define subtypes (see
section 4.2). It also works with the shared and match forms (see
Chapter 44 and Chapter 27 in PLT MzLib: Libraries Manual). For detailed
information about the expansion-time information stored in s, see
section 12.6.4.

So "(define-struct foo (bar))" defines the name foo. While
make-struct-type doesn't do the syntax binding.

Chongkai